I am just in awe over how fast this year has gone! Honestly looking back, I feel like I've blinked and I've missed the entire year. I'm not quite sure how my baby got to be a year old.
We celebrated her birthday with a party at the lake. I bought her this bathing suit right after she was born knowing that she would wear it for her first birthday.
On the day of the party, I put her in her birthday bathing suit and took her outside to take some pictures.
Being the typical mommy's girl that she is, she did not want to be put down. Adalyn prefers to be held (all the time), and if she's not being held, then she's definitely on the move.
She bear crawls. Y'all, it's the funniest thing ever, and it doesn't happen all the time, but I have no idea why she crawls this way. I think she's just a priss that doesn't want to hurt or dirty her knees.
I tried to get a picture of her and her big sisters, but it didn't work out well. At all.
After her morning nap, I put her in her "birthday girl" t-shirt.
All of her sisters have worn this shirt on their 1st birthday. So naturally, Adalyn had to wear it too.
The party wasn't until 5, so most of the day was spent on the boat, and then everyone got dressed for the party, and Adalyn had her third outfit change for the day.
We attempted a family picture, but the big girls just wanted to play with their cousins.
And that was okay, because it's pretty rare that DJ and I will have a picture with just Adalyn.
My mom and Addy Pearl.
Addy with her Pops and Grandma Dee, who so graciously allowed us to have her party at their house!
Once dinner was over, we put her in her birthday party hat and took a few more pictures.
Each girl has a party hat that they've worn for the first birthday and it makes a reappearance at every party afterwards. I ordered Gretchen's hat from Etsy, and then once my mom bought an embroidery machine, and now that I have one too, we've made Megan's and Adalyn's.
Addy's hat has long ribbon, so it can be tied in a bow on one side of her head. She thought it was funny to pull the bow and untie it!
After dinner, we took the kids to play with poppers and get their bracelets on!
We had star bracelets, glow bracelets, party poppers, and little firecracker poppers.
Meggie getting a tattoo.
And can we just pause for a minute because I totally remember her first birthday like it was yesterday.
Nana finally arrived and the birthday girl had lots of hugs and kisses for her!
Then, we opened presents.
My mom has given all of the girls a knife and cake server set for their first birthdays. There's a poem that goes with it, that just makes me bawl like a baby, that explains that these knives are to be used to cut their birthday cakes, and then one day, they'll be used to cut their wedding cake. Total tear jerker.
Addy got clothes.
And a new baby doll.
She also got a book, a new lamp, a huge Minnie Mouse, and more clothes! She was spoiled.
Mommy and Daddy bought her a pink tricycle.
After presents, it was time for cake. We had a big fan going, so the candle went out pretty quickly, but you can tell Meggie was scared of the little flame.
And, then Addy dug right in!
Meggie helped a little.
I'm sorry, I could not just choose one cake smash picture!
Her gold bib is from Snap Bibs. I didn't have time to get her a birthday party bib, and that was partly because I was in denial about her turning a year old, but we had this bib with us and it worked out perfect! I love that it's gold and sparkly and it was so big that she didn't get too messy!
And after her cake, she had birthday kisses from mommy.
And we took the party girl in for a bath!
Adalyn, wow, what a year it's been! You were definitely our surprise baby and you've continued to surprise us along the way! You've added to our family in a way that I didn't know was possible, but God knew. God knew that we needed you and that our family wasn't complete without you. You are a sweetheart, cuddle bug, that has blue eyes as fierce as your daddy's, and yes, I think they'll stay that way. Your personality is as fiery and as sassy as your big sisters, and you look at them with love in your eyes! I can't wait to see the mischief that the three of you will get in to! Thank you for being a mommy's girl and thank you for being my baby.
And a few stats for you:
- Adalyn is able to say "dada".
- Waves bye-bye
- Gives kisses by smacking her lips together.
- She has 6 teeth. 4 on top, that came in right around the time of her party, and two on the bottom.
- She weighs in at a whopping 15 lbs.
- I'm not sure how long she is, because I still need to schedule her one year check up.
- She sleeps through the night.
- She loves to eat! This girl could put away a horse! I have no idea where it goes, but you're happiest when you're eating.
- Her favorite foods are: turkey, cheese, peas, bananas, applesauce, yogurt, yogurt bites, puffs, and cheerios.
- You can crawl up the stairs.
- Your favorite toy is a ballet baby doll that you received for Christmas, and you sleep with her all the time.
- Adalyn sucks her thumb.
- Adalyn enjoys the swimming pool if she's being held. She hates being her in swim float.
- She has finally learned how to use a sippy cup and has started just this past week drinking milk about once a day. So yes, she is still nursing.
- Adalyn crawls on all fours, and crawls like a bear, and is able to stand up from a squatting position. She cruises around furniture and has taken 4 steps independently.
- She loves to play peek-a-boo.
- She's ticklish on her belly.
- She wears anything from 6, 9, or 12 month clothing.
- Adalyn keeps a bow in her hair, if she has a ponytail. She'll keep tiny clippies in her hair, but she will not tolerate a large bow clipped in.
- Adalyn spends most of her time without shoes. But, she is in a size 4.
- She wears a size 3 diaper.